Friday 27 September 2013

Who am I?

My name is Ronnie Smith and I was born, brought up and still live in Glasgow, Scotland. I started to transition towards a Fruitarian diet in late 2011 after having come across the concept of raw veganism on Youtube.  I attended the Woodstock Fruit Festival in Upstate New York in August 2012 and have remained on a fully raw fruitarian diet since then.

For me, fruitarianism and its philosophy answered a lot of questions I could not understand.  Why could we not live harmoniously in nature like other animals?  Why did we have to cook and process our food? Why do we experience such a rapid decline in health while we age? I wondered if we had lost our true instincts and if living domesticated lives had taken away our killer instinct.  Somehow that did not seem right to me.

At the time prior to transition I had already made significant dietary changes away from the standard UK or Scottish diet on which I had raised.  After years of trying I had given up refined sugar and experienced a huge change from that alone.  Not long after I realised I had switched sugar addiction for caffeine addiction and took tea, coffee and other caffeinated beverages out of my diet as a result.  Both times I had noticed positive changes and enjoyed the sense of having conquered a craving.

Giving up meat later on was easy in comparison and this was my first experience of how a change to diet can also have an impact on your ethics and worldview.  Eventually I made an ethical choice to go vegan and while researching this I came across inspiring videos made my raw vegan athletes such as Tim Van Orden and Harley Johnstone (Durianrider) and I knew I had to try this out.

I will write more about my transition and whatever comes to mind soon.  For more of my story so far I have a youtube channel "Fruity Ronster" and also host a fruitluck in Glasgow for others interested in a high fruit diet, whether fully raw or not: www.meetup.com/glasgow-fruitluck.

Til then, plant trees, eat fruit and take care of yourself

Ronster

No comments:

Post a Comment