Wednesday 6 November 2013

My Experience at the Danish Fresh Food Festival 2013

On the 17th of July I flew to Copenhagen for a fruit festival in Denmark known as the Danish Fresh Food Festival.  This was the 5th time the event had been held and as far as I can see it if the longest running of the modern fruit festivals specifically aimed at raw vegans and those following the 801010 diet.

I had arrived a day early and took a bus tour around Copenhagen and a boat trip along the canal. I was amazed at how pristine the water was in the harbour and surprised to see some some people swimming in it, not something you see in the River Clyde in Glasgow.






I saw some of the sites such as the famous Little Mermaid statute and was picked up later by a friend who I stayed with over night.

We drove to the festival the next day with passengers who had requested a lift on facebook, Jerome and Katie who I recognised from videos of FoodnSport events and from Woodstock 2012.  We were some of the first to arrive and went exploring around the venue.  I was full of excitement as this was the first fruit festival I had been to since Woodstock nearly a year before.

The festival started with a parade up to the main lecture hall as we followed the music made by Petr Cech playing flute and his friend Leif playing Accordion.  Petr and his wife Alexandra were the organisers of the festival and they started the opening ceremony.  They introduced Doug and Roz Graham to give the opening presentations which were very powerful and inspirational.  Later we played games on the playing fields as a kind of icebreaker which I enjoyed a lot.  I met my room mate later, a cool guy called Benny from Iceland.  The rooms had two beds each and were very comfortable.

I participated in Dr Graham's fitness classes just about every morning and there was something different going on each time as he led us to different areas of the grounds.  I attended lectures by Dr Graham, Professor Rozalind Graham, Eric Karlsson, Louise Koch, Grant Campbell and Petr Cech. I signed up to do some some work in the kitchen which involved mostly preparing mangoes while singing a mango song with Axel.  The weather was perfect the whole time and I was able to hang out in the sun with my friend Rob Freedomfighter also known as the Raw Viking.

On the last night we sat around the campfire and sang Happy Birthday to Katie in many different languages and then played guitar and I got people to sing along to my silly blues song "Fruitflies in my blender".  It was a special night and we all connected quite deeply and expressed ourselves in different ways.  There was a large group hug that seemed to go on for hours.

I made a lot of friends at the festival, ate lots of delicious fruit (in particular some amazing organic Danish strawberries) learned a great deal about the lifestyle and in general was really glad I went.  I would recommend it to anyone and hope to see you there in the coming years.

I have a playlist of videos from the festival on my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1U_g6MxDWac&list=PLutoSbzrNCKmMNJZylB_Zqx3Y-dY4WG7h

The website of the festival is www.freshfoodfestival.com

Yours in fruit,

Ronnie


No comments:

Post a Comment