Tuesday 23 September 2014

Down The Raw Food Rabbit Hole

I was challenged today on my raw food lifestyle in particular about how much I must miss the food I used to eat.  I was also accused of living in fear instead of living in the moment when I spoke a little about the various diseases of society caused by diet.

When I get in to these kind of conversations with conventional eating people I don't tend to put a lot of energy into answering their questions.

My feeling is that it is unlikely that they actually want to be taken down what I call the "Raw Food Rabbit Hole".  The conversations skirt around the edge of the hole but it is unlikely that they wish to be taken by hand down into the hole that you can never really escape from.

I hide the fact that I know a lot more about nutrition that they give me credit for.  My friend asked where I got my fat from and I told him there was fat in fruits and vegetables.  He didn't beleive
me.  Of course there is fat in all whole foods but it is not marketed in that way so the public don't realise that.

But the question of whether I miss the old foods is interesting.  I explained to him that when you start a new habit of eating then your taste buds change and you don't really think about the old foods
anymore.

For me eating fruit is as immediate and enjoyable as eating sweets and candy is for other people.  I don't feel like I am missing out.  But he also tapped into a point about fear.

Up until recently I thought I made most of my decisions in life out of a positive emotion like hope but now I am realising that there is almost always a corollary fear going along with even the most
hopeful vision.  We eat healthy not just for the positives it brings but to avoid the negatives that eating badly used to bring us and each reason is very powerful.

The worst thing is to make choices through ignorance and most people are prepared not to look for the information they need.  If they were genuinely interested then I could take then gently down the rabbit hole of health that they would emerge from unchanged.

Keep on down the path, it goes farther and farther down, there is much to learn.

Maybe it is time you were sharing it with other?

Yours fructiferously,

Ronnie

No comments:

Post a Comment