Monday 22 September 2014

"So What Disease Is This Fruit Good For?"

Often if I offer someone a new or unique fruit they will ask me what it is good for.

They want to know what particular vitamin or nutrient this fruit is particularly high in.

I really have no idea most of the time as I do not study these things.  To paraphrase Dr Doug Graham, I don't eat bananas for the potassium but for their bananness.

I don't personally think it is helpful or accurate to promote a fruit because of a certain substance. Often the common wisdom on such things.  Such as bananas being number 70 on the list of foods high in potassium and lower than other fruits such as dates.

People mistakenly see potassium as being incredibly high in potassium and worry about getting too much.  The reality is that the body is excellent at adapting to different levels of potassium in the diet and easily gets rid of any excess through the kidneys.

Even though this is my stance sometimes I wonder if it might be helpful to simply go along with the question and say "oh mangoes are great for diabetes, strawberries are wonderful for cancer....heart disease, go for grapes" or whatever as perhaps it would encourage some people to eat more of it.

In general I don't think or worry about specific nutrients.  It is really hard to wend your way through the morass of information on health and diet topics and try to find some truth.  I should probably start doing some more research on these things.  For now I just trust in the fruit and vegetables.  They taste good to me.

In that same vein I did have a look through a medical textbook today that I saw at work.  The information on nutrition was very limited and was more about the specific chemistry of certain substances.

Really we need to start taking a step back and having a look to nature and how other animals are eating.  We need to learn to follow our natural design and go back to growing and eating more free food straight from the vine.

It is likely that if we do this then many of the "incurable" diseases listed in the medical textbooks will vanish and become an obscure history lesson.  Really we have no idea how many of these illnesses could be the result of bad nutrition...it is a little scary.

So that's my thoughts for today.  As ever if you would like to subscribe to receive future updates and get some free gifts from me then sign in at the form to your right.

Yours fruitfully,

Ronnie Ronster

No comments:

Post a Comment