Friday 26 September 2014

How To Satisfy Cravings For Salty, Crunchy Food On A Raw Vegan Diet

Hello and I hope it is a fine day for you.

Over here in Scotland (or here in Scotland, if you are here) the days are getting shorter rapidly.  The phrase used for this here is "the nights are fair drawing in" and indeed they are.

As an animal with a tropical origin I am sure there is some part of me that is utterly confused by seasonal changes as this is something that our genetic ancestors didn't deal with for tens of millions of years.

Anyway we carry on regardless and make it through somehow.

I want to briefly speak about cravings for salty, crunchy food on a raw vegan diet.  If you are following 801010 you probably don't eat a lot of salt or exclude it completely.  I am in the second camp here, I don't eat or use salt in my food.

For many people this is a tough change and something that will prevent them from sticking to a raw diet.  They get tired of sweet all of the time and and want something savoury and often a salad is not what they are looking for.  

I believed in the commonly portrayed idea that if you give up salt then your taste buds will change and become more sensitive and vegetables will all of a sudden become very salty to you.

I never really found this to be the case, and struggled to incorporate more vegetables into my diet.

Indeed for a fairly long period of time I would just eat sweet fruits with no savoury fruits like tomatoes and no greens or other vegetables.

Though we still enjoy the taste and to some extent have a craving for salty food I have usually found that the craving would go away if I ate enough sweet fruit.

I'm not convinced that we need greens or vegetables but I do enjoy vegetable dishes and the savoury crunchy taste.  I thought I would share with you some raw vegan foods that will help satisfy those savoury craving, but be warned many of these things are totally addictive:

1.  Sundried Tomatoes- hard to find in the UK without being drenched in oil and salt.  In the US it seems to be much easier to get untampered with sun dried Tomatoes at local shops.  Delicious and packed with flavour it can be hard to stop eating these.  A good site to order them from in the UK is called The Raw Greek.

2. Freeze Dried Peas/ Sweetcorn- Fresh garden peas have a fantastic savoury sweet flavour and I can personally eat bags at a time when they are in season.  Freeze dried peas and freeze dried sweetcorn are another incredible snack though it is questionable how "raw" they are.  Once again they are not really openly available in the UK so you may want to check the internet.

3. Multiple Dehydrator Recipes- Using a dehydrator opens up a wide variety of different recipes, flavours and textures for a raw vegan.  My favourite so far is to dip cauliflower florets in a sauce made from blended tomato, celery and tahini with some spices added.  Put that in the dehydrator for 2 hours and you have an incredible snack.

All of these should give you some great options that can help satisfy that salty craving.  If you have any more please comment below.

If you would like to subscribe for future updates then fill in your details in the form to the right.  You will receive some great gifts as a result.

Thanks for reading,

Ronnie

No comments:

Post a Comment