Friday 19 September 2014

How To Process and Digest Difficult Emotions

I stayed up all night last night.

It was the night of the Scottish Independence referendum.  Unfortunately, it was clear early on that the result I was looking for did not look like it was going to happen so I went to bed but couldn't quite get to sleep and kept getting up to  follow twitter or the television.

I was quite uptight and upset when the result started to get worse and the reality started to happen. This was a good chance to try to practice "emotional processing".  What I mean by this is simply the practice of trying to allow upset emotions to flow through the body to their natural release bringing you back to a calm state.  Very few people are conscious of this process I believe.  It is in times of emotional upset that we often look to distract ourselves with other stimulations like food, alcohol, drugs, computer games and the rest.

But I learned at one point that the best thing to do was focus your attention on the feeling of emotional pain in the body and you will realise that it is not as painful and powerful as you at first think.  By being still with it and feeling it this allows the process to complete.

As I was up anyway I headed to the Blochairn Fruit Market for the first time in ages.

Funnily enough the BBC were there filming the workers and asking their opinions on the vote.  The one man I spoke to was also sad that the country was not going independent and was waiting to be interviewed.

I found some decent Blueberries, Cherimoyas, a small box of Grapes and 2 boxes of Bananas.  I always get my Bananas from Thomas O'Connell's stand.  In fact it is really the only place there that you can get Bananas.  He gives incredible deals on boxes of Bananas, even organic sometimes.  Tell him I sent you if you go.

I also like the stand "Crossley" and believe they are very good quality.  "T.R Caledonian" I liked for the yellow Pakistani Honey Mangoes but unfortunately they did not have them there this year so I have not been going to them as much.  I used to order some organic fruit from "Carmichael" but it was being ordered from Paris and could be inconsistent.

I spent £70 on what could be maybe 5-7 days of fruit but I am likely to buy more as I like variety.

I shared some of the Blueberries with my work colleagues and ate the rest.

Still felt sad about the result at home but I am slowly getting over it and refocusing on all the good things in life.

Another Fruitluck is planned tomorrow at the Botanic Gardens in Glasgow at 1pm.  Perhaps you can make it along?  Bring some fruit and perhaps a friend or two?  I hope to see you there!

Yours Fruitfully,

Ronnie

For updates and cool stuff sign up in the form on the right!

No comments:

Post a Comment